Search This Blog

Saturday 4 May 2013

Snow Day and Happy International Scrapbooking Day!

Firstly, happy scrapping to all scrapbookers, national and international.  I hope you have a chance to celebrate the hobby that we love. 

This double layout is one of very few originals that I have done since the boys were born.  I am confident with colour - I am fairly confident with patterned paper - but not at all when it comes to design, and laying things out on the page. 

So I wanted to make this really simple and fairly straight forward.  It was my birthday on the 19th January, and I was supposed to be going to my crop and having an indulgent day.  Instead, it was snowed off and it was back to everyday normality. 

We therefore had to make the most of the opportunity for the boys and to document the occasion!

 
The lovely snowman was something that was sent to me probably 10 years ago when I first started scrapping in a swap on UK Scrappers - for so many years, I had no inkling of what to do with it!  I am so pleased to have used it on this page.  The maker is, and was, certainly very talented - a beautiful example of paper piecing. 
 
I started off with 3 sheets of this background cardstock - not too sure of the colour, but it is something like Evergreen, perhaps.  I lay the Heidi Swapp snowflake mask down on one sheet, but I was very disappointed with the result - the mist puddled underneath, and you couldn't really recognise the design.  So I cut the page into 2, and used half on each side of the double layout. 
 
I then traced around the mask, using the two biggest snowflakes, and handcut three of them out.  I die cut some from Sizzix, and then backed them some of the various snowflakes with white paper so they would stand out more against the Cosmo Cricket patterned paper.  A major faff, but really worth it in the end, I think!
 
A couple of years ago I bought a set of Sizzix dies (on sale, of course!) which have a die for each month of the year.  It has some basic but really important shapes, and I have used these much more than the month - but I can see these really coming into their own when I start scrapping more with divided page protectors. 
 
Apart from the fact that the embellishments are really appropriate, it uses up so much more of my snowflake stash.  I am so pleased to use it up, rather than have to sell it/give it away.  It does justify the purchasing, no matter how many years ago!
 
Supplies:
Bazzill Basics Cardstock
Cosmo Cricket "Silly Chilly"
O'Scraps! White Chipboard Alphabet
Cherryarte rub-on white alphabet
Craftime Glitter Snowflakes
Heidi Swapp Snowflake Mask
Cosmic Shimmer Silver mist
White Snowflake buttons
Scenic Route Background Blue on white grid
Sizzix "January with Snowflakes" die
 
I love these photos of us - it will be a great memory for the boys.  My journalling reads:
 
"Saturday, 19 January 2013
It was my birthday today and I had made plans to go out with friends.  However, these plans were cancelled due to the amount of snow, so Daddy and I had to make the most of it.  We made you some "wellington boots" by covering your shoes with plastic bags.  On top, you had a pair of Daddy's socks to add some grip.  It worked a treat!
It had snowed solidly for 3 days and there was a covering of 5 inches all over the garden.  Henry - so curious as usual - you wanted to taste it!  Lewis, I threw a tiny snowball at all and you weren't so sure.  Another first!"
 
Thanks for stopping by.  :) 


1 comment:

  1. Happy NSD to you too xx You all look like you had so much fun even if you missed your indulgent day! Love the papers you have used - it's refreshing to see snow scraped with green instead of white and blue!

    ReplyDelete