Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 May 2013

Scrapology May Layout - Hand Stitching

This month, over at Scrapology, we are scraplifting Delaina Burns layout below:



You can see the original on her blog here:

The technique challenge is to use hand stitching.  I have used hand stitching several times over the years, so you think I would have learned something, but what is life other than to make mistakes? I used the WR Memory Keepers Sew Easy Tool on paper, but a quality control report is that it makes really large holes and is not as precise as I would have liked it to be. 
 
I look at the quality of Delaina's stitching, and it is beautiful in its neatness and precision.  My tips for a better job than mine would be to use a stitching template and a sharp pokey tool to create holes, with a protective mat behind.  I have the WR Memory Keepers mat, which is high quality, but a mouse or foam mat has worked well for me in the past. 
 
The delight on my boys' faces when they try to catch the bubbles is beyond joyful and I wanted to catch a great picture of each of them.  This one of Henry is still slightly out of focus, but it was the best I could do in the circumstances, of trying to blow the bubbles and then also take the photos!

 
I chose the colour of the background to coordinate with the wall colour in the photo and then everything else came from that.  I went through my stash and picked out coordinating papers and elements to match.  I was budget conscious when using a piece of white backing paper rather than cardstock, but a good tip for the future is that cardstock stands up better to the rigours of stitching!

I found it difficult to get the squares of stitching even, until I cut out a template from scrap paper first, and then traced around it and then angled the two squares apart from each other.  The lack of precision in the squares is due to the Sew Easy tool and me either not using it correctly or a lack of practice.  I tried to cover up the worst of the stitching, but I had to live with some of it!

When rifling through my stash, I came across the sticker from Scenic Route, but it had a really vibrant red floral border around it.  I cut the text part out of the middle, and backed it with a scrap of K and Co aqua dotty paper that was in my scraps bag. 

I replicated bubbles by using a circle punch and choosing the appropriate colours from the Fancy Pants dotty paper. 

Apart from the dodginess of the stitching and the marks the tool left on the white paper, I am happy with this layout and love the colour scheme. 

Supplies:
Bazzill Basics Cardstock
Embroidery Thread
American Crafts Thickers "Shoebox"
Stickers: Scenic Route "Laurel Monogram ABCD" 2006
Patterned Papers:
    Prima Marketing Iron Orchid Designs Calliope Collection "Chance"
    My Mind's Eye Fine and Dandy True Blue Collection "Splendid" and "Daydream"
    K and Co Classics Collection
    Fancy Pants Hodgepodge "It's Your Day"
    Scenic Route Savannah "Scrap Strip 3"

We would love to see you join in with the challenge and look forward to seeing what you produce!

1 comment: