Search This Blog

Thursday 5 July 2012

Sketchy Scrappers June Challenge - Annie's Letter

Jess set this month's sketch, which is below. 


I had to think about this one, and thought it would be more fitting for a heritage type layout.  I remembered that there was an additional layout that I wanted to do, on the other side of a photo of my maternal great Grandmother.  Some time ago, my mother gave me a photocopy of a letter from her grandmother to her on the occasion of my birth.  I've probably had the photocopy knocking about for seven or so years, so when time permits I will get a better and more pristine copy.  But for now, I am happy that I've preserved the memories in a safe and fitting place. 

I ended up turning the sketch 90 degrees left and took a bit of latitude to suit the layout.  Here is my finished product:


My friend Tara gave me a doily some time ago and I had used it previously as a mask.  I spritzed it with Teal and Sunlight Cosmic Shimmer mists so that the colour tied in with the patterned papers I wanted to use.  I folded up a sheet of 12 x 12 cream vellum to form an envelope for the letter and then for some added interest, I ran the completed envelope through the Tim Holtz "Postal" texture fades (embossing folder) with my Big Shot.  I really like that effect.  I stitched a button on but actually used a glue dot to adhere it together.  I used my Prima "Say it in Studs" swirl as a template and copied it onto acetate using a Promarker to spot out the placement of the gems and then glued them on individually.  That part was very time consuing and a real test of the eyes at night but I am pleased with the final result.  Luckily I had some other blue gems as I ran out of my original bigger sized ones and there is a slight colour difference but nothing which stands out dramatically. 

The great thing is now I can use up the left over bits of patterned paper and card and make some cards with the leftovers. 

Supplies:
Cream Bazzill cardstock
Cream vellum
Patterned paper:  Paper Adventures "The Vintage Workshop" in Slate:
                            Vintage Vines
                            Antique Brocade
                            Old Fashioned Floral
Tim Holtz "Postal" Texture Fades
Doily
Cosmic Shimmer mists: Teal Wash and Sunlight
Prima Flowers "Petite Mums Victoria"
Spellbinders Shapeabilities Nested Pennants
Crayola Gel pen
Martha Stewart punch
Blue Gems
Pearl on a String
Button
Lace
Ribbon

The journalling is rudimentary, but it reads:
Enclosed is a photocopy of a letter written from my Great Grandmother Annie to my mother on the occasion of my birth.  Dated January 1964.  She died 30th June, 1964.

A great challenge set by Jess, as it pushed me to finish something that was started many years ago.  Thanks for stopping by. 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely layout Ali and I just adore that envelope you made, the postal embossing was just the perfect touch. What a wonderful thing to have from your grandmother :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much detail! This is brilliant!

    Greetings,

    die amelie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sketch Ali and your interpretation of it. What a gorgeous memory to have, that letter sounds amazing, what a great thing to do. Memory keepers even way back then :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I do vintage I use browns, so thank you for broadening my ideas with such a lovely colour choice

    ReplyDelete