Search This Blog

Sunday 24 October 2010

Christmas cards Orange and Black

I had a fab day yesterday crafting with my friend Tara.  We both got into the Christmas card mood, and were quite productive! 

She got out various bits and bobs of Christmas stash to use, and she is always very generous to share.  Something that was in my Christmas box to use was orange handmade paper which I've had forever.  It's fun using non-traditional Christmas colours to make cards and this was a snazzy black/orange combo that I came up with. 


I recycled the silver square from another topper and cut out a snowflake from Tara's sizzix die, and then covered with black stickles.  I also recycled the black and white ribbon from a box of chocolates that I gave to my husband on Valentine's Day.  I also raided her black scraps bag and that stripey HOTP paper was perfect for a number of cards. 




Addition of black stickles around the border, graphic Christmas picture, and black card candy.  The orange hand made paper is a really intensive colour which shimmers - great texture, too!



I added a scrap of coordinating paper, the end of a Doodlebug paper frill which I altered to black from white, and cut out the Sizzix star and adhered onto the card with silicone glue - my new "must have" adhesive when adding dimension!  I've got a cheap bottle of glitter glue to use up which I bought when first crafting, and whilst it is much more gloopy than Stickles, it is more economical to use over a large surface.  Added another "card candy" over the top to act like a brad. 


For this last card, I used the lovely Christmas elegance Banana Frog stamps to emboss the snow flake onto orange card with black embossing powder.  I used the Sizzix die with a Craftwork cards message over the top for a very simple and graphic card. 

I made a few more of a very similar nature in the same colour way and I think this colour combination is very dramatic and effective! 

I have a commission for a pink Christmas card, so that will be my next challenge.  I shall have to see what raw materials I have in my stash and how inspiration strikes!

4 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous! I love orange and black and all Halloweeny colours (yes, I know they are Christmas cards!) It's so nice to get away from red and green for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely - never thought of using orange and black for xmas before but they are so effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for Christmas colours - one I hadn't considered, but will give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Ali, these are really striking....a totally unusual colour combo for chrsitmas, BUT they really do look good and totally unique....off to see the next lot!
    Warmest wishes Anita..xxx

    ReplyDelete